In Cling you need to know 3 basic elements: your home screen, your boards and as many cards as you need for your content. A board works like a conventional pin board. In the beginning it is empty with free space for all you wish to retain. Over time you save more and more content in Cling to have it at hand, when you need it. Cling is the one place to collect, manage and - if you like - share your content with others.
Your home screen
The first thing you see after logging in to Cling is your home screen. Initially you’ll only see the boards that have already been placed there to let you learn about Cling more easily.
The board menu
Like every Cling board, your home screen's menu is located on the top of a board. There you'll find all functions to manipulate appearance and layout. The board menu ❶ is not only available on your home screen. You can find it on any of your custom boards as well.
- Click on Menu to open the main menu. It contains all features to manage your account. Find more information about the main menu at the end of this page. Once you open a board, the menu icon is replaced by the home icon, which brings you back to your home screen.
- Via Boards you open the board navigator. The navigator is used to open your clipboard or the trashcan and to switch between your boards. Learn more about the clipboard in the section "Organize and manage".
- The Inbox column is your depot for all links that you save in Cling using external apps like the Cling Button. They are saved as link cards in the incoming column of the respective boards. Each board has its own incoming column. More information on this is available in the section "Keep all in one place".
- The Search icon opens up the search. Cling comes with a powerful full text search. Using Cling's search function it is simple to find your content across all your boards. Learn more about the search in the section "Use your content".
- Click on the name of the board in the center of the menu to modify board settings.
- To share a board with other Cling users, click Share. This option is available in the board menu on all your boards, except on your home screen. Your home screen can not be shared. Read the section "Teamwork" to learn more about sharing your content with Cling.
- Use Collapse / Expand to minimize or maximize all cards on a board.
- Via More you can modify board settings, import bookmarks from any modern browser or open the help center.
Create your first card
New content can be created right on your home screen. This is perfect if you need to note down something without deciding where it finally belongs. Create a new card using the "Take a note..."-control. Cling offers various card types for different content categories:
- Notes: Note cards ❶ are there for all your thoughts, notes, and ideas. To keep things clear, they incorporate just a small, lean editor providing the most important functions.
- Web links: All web addresses that you want to remember can be saved on link cards ❷. You can create the cards by either copying the link manually or – much more conveniently – by using the Cling button, our extension for your browser.
- Photos and files: Cling lets you permanently store all files that are important for you. Furthermore, Cling can also manage your photos. File cards ❸ are used for both. They allow you to upload one or more files. Photos are displayed directly in Cling. Files are illustrated with the icon of the respective file format.
Click on the corresponding icon to create a new card.
Alternatively use "+" ❹ from the card menu.
The actual content in Cling is displayed on cards. There are various different types of cards, which are optimized for specific types of content: note, link and file. If you hover the mouse pointer over a card, the card's menu will be displayed.
Tip: All actions from the card menu have a corresponding keyboard shortcut. See the key mapping directly in the card's menu.
Icons of the upper card menu:
- Collapse or expand the presentation of a card ❶.
- Use the pen icon ❷ to edit a card's content.
- Increase or decrease indent ❸ groups cards. Think about it like a folder or like attaching multiple cards to behave like one single card. Use as many levels of indentation as you like.
- To change the location of a card, cut it ❹. The card is then moved to the clipboard and can be inserted using the clipboard icon from the lower part of a card's menu.
- Click on + ❺ to add a new card.
- Via Add comment ❻ you can comment on a card. Commenting works on any card of a board. When sharing a board, comments can be used as a chat.
- Turn a card into a task by clicking Open task settings ❼.
- Send to board ❽ relocates a card quickly to the inbox of another board. This is helpful, when organizing your cards.
- If you like to navigate to a card from the search result, use Go to card ❾.
- Use ❿ to archive a card. The card will then be hidden, but it is not deleted. If you want to browse archived cards, display them using the search. You can reactivate it from the archive at any point of time.
- Delete content by clicking Remove ⓫. If you deleted a card by accident, you can restore it from the trashcan at any time.
- The section About this card shows meta infomation about recent changes on this content item. This is especially helpful when working on shared boards.
- Copy the Direct link ⓬ to access a card via its specific URL.
The home screen is your first board. If it gets too crowded, create new boards to stay on top of your content. New boards can be created by adding board cards to your home screen ❶.
Customize your boards with name ❷ and give it an individual look ❸. Create the board by clicking "Add Board" ❹. After that the board is ready for use.
Store content on this fresh, new board exactly like you do with the cards on your home screen.
Cling's main menu
The main menu is available througout Cling and hides all features to manage your account plus a few other utility function you need less frequently.
- If you need assistance, pick "How can we help you?" and start to chat with us.
- Open website directs you to the Cling homepage.
- The Cling Button is the browser plugin for Cling. Follow the personalized link for your browser to start the download. Learn more about the Cling Button in the section "The Cling Button".
- Clicking Logout ends the session in Cling.
How to progress from here?
Now you've learned all the basics of Cling. Keep your content in one place, organize and manage your topics. Work on your content and share boards if you want to collaborate with other users. Cling assists you and in the subsequent sections we explain step by step how it works. If you like to know more about Cling check out all pages of the help center.
"Keep all in one place" - notes, links, photos and files, we show you how to store everything in Cling. Use your inbox and custom boards and nothing gets lost.
"Organize and manage" - Decide what matters and stay on top. Learn how to move content between various boards. Structure your stuff, archive or delete what you don't need anymore. Track your to-dos in Cling without any overhead.
"Use your content" - with Cling you have your content at hand, anywhere. See what Cling's full text search can do for you. Generate custom lists for better overview.
"Teamwork" - Share your boards with selected users. Cling keeps you up to date by sending you notifications. Track changes easily and chat in realtime with other board users.